County Library "Alexandru & Aristia Aman": www.aman.ro   
   CRAIOVA - LOCAL MEMORY: http://memorielocala.aman.ro  [home]

 

CRAIOVA'S HISTORY
OLD CITY IN PICTURES
CRAIOVA'S BIBLIOGRAPHY
LOCAL PRESS HISTORY
LOCAL FAMOUS PEOPLE
CRAIOVA SEEN BY PAINTERS
CRAIOVA'S CHURCHES
HISTORYCAL MONUMENTS
ROMANESCU PARK
E. FARAGO'S MEMORIAL HOUSE


Documents from "Aman" County Library which can be found in
European Digital Library


HISTORICAL MONUMENTS


Prince Barbu Ştirbei’s Monument

It was considered to be the first public monument raised in Craiova, it was inaugurated on 8-th December 1918. It is located in the courtyard of Trinity Church - built by stewardess Dumitrana Ştirbei (wife of Great Steward Constantin Ştirbei, who was caimacam of Craiova in 1741) – across "Carol I" National College.
The monument was made by French sculptor Jean Lecomte du Nouy in 1907 and was cast in Varbedienne bronze. The monument is depicting the prince standing wearing on his shoulders a royal robe, and having many decorations on his chest. In the right hand he holds a scroll ruler that says: 'To you I entrust the defense of our country and destiny." At his feet there is a young man holding a scythe in one hand and the other a sheaf of wheat. There is also an eagle with wings ready for flight. There are also a few bas-reliefs on the pedestal of the statue, representing Romania, a book in which there are recorded important dates from the country’ history, to whose signing the Prince took part, a map representing the Danube plain, from Turnu Severin to Braila and other items.
Prince Barbu Dimitrie Ştirbei was born in Craiova, in August 1799 and died in Nice, on April 12, 1869. He reigned from January 29-th, 1949 to October 1853 and from October 5-th, 1854 to January 25-th, 1856. He experienced the difficulty of maintaining the Russo-Turkish army and the special commissioner. He obtained their withdrawal in 1851. He built the Theatre in Bucharest, he has reopened many schools closed during the 1848 Revolution and improved the Organic Regulation for peasants. In 1853 he retired to Vienna, because of Russian occupation and returned to the throne in 1854 under Austrian occupation, having many restrictions. After the Congress of Paris (1856) his rule was not extended.

Bibliopraphy:
Firan, Florea, Firescu, Alexandru. - Craiova.- Bucureşti: Sport Turism, [1982], p.79
Istoria Craiovei.- Craiova: Editura Scrisul Românesc, 1977, p.280
Petre Gigea-Gorun.- Din amintirile Craiovei. – Craiova:Fundaţia Scrisul Românesc, 2004, p.65
Magda Buce Răduţ.- Trecutul în Craiova de astăzi. – Craiova: Sim Art, 2008, p.183


Ioan Maiorescu’s torso

The decision to a statue of John Maiorescu was taken in 1909. The funds needed for the statue have been obtained by public subscription and the name of the donors being published in “Ramuri” magazine.
The making of John Maiorescu’s torso (of bronze) was entrusted to the sculptor Ion Iordanescu. The work was completed in 1911 and the inauguration took place on 7 January 1913. Placed initially inside “Bibescu” Park in 1928, it will be moved in front of "Carol I" National College, and after the 1977 earthquake it was moved in the square in front of the "Elena Cuza” National College. The torso was made of bronze and the pedestal was built of stone. The rock falls off the pedestal forming a male torso (the symbol of time) having both arms wrapped in a curtain, over the shoulders. On the statue's stone base is carved the inscription: "To loan Maiorescu, 1811-1864, an apostle of three Romanian national ideas”; and on the back of the pedestal is written a paragraph taken from the great Romanian diplomat’ speech.

Bibliopraphy:
Firan, Florea, Firescu, Alexandru. - Craiova.- Bucureşti: Sport Turism, [1982], p.79-80
Istoria Craiovei.- Craiova: Editura Scrisul Rom#nesc, 1977, p.280
Petre Gigea-Gorun.- Din amintirile Craiovei. – Craiova:Fundaţia Scrisul Românesc, 2004, p.65


Alexandru Ioan Cuza’ statue

Alexandru Ioan Cuza’ statue was made in 1912 by an Italian sculptor named Raffaello Romanelli. The italian sculptor made two bronze copies of Prince Alexandru Ioan Cuza’ statue (1859-1866), one for Iaşi and the other, in 1912, for Craiova.
Set in 1935 in front of “Minerva” hotel it will be officially inaugurated only in 1939 and a year later the statue was moved in the very city center, on the north side of the “English park” garden, in front of the current Palace City Hall.
The statue is depicting the ruler standing and holding his sword with both hands in a gesture that suggests determination and dignity.
On the base, on both sides, right and left, are inscriptions with texts describing the measures taken by Alexandru Ioan Cuza during his reign.

Bibliopraphy:
Firan, Florea; Firescu, Alexandru. - Craiova.- Bucureşti : Sport Turism, [1982], p.79
Istoria Craiovei.- Craiova: Editura Scrisul Românesc, 1977, p.280
Magda Buce Răduţ.- Trecutul în Craiova de astăzi. – Craiova : Sim Art, 2008, p.122


“1907” Monument

The “1907“Monument, the highest statue of Craiova, is located in the Romanescu Park on the place once called “Bogdan’s Fountain” or “Fountain with pale”. It pays tribute to the peasants who gave their lives to earn their rights.
The monument was made by sculptor Ion Irimescu’s project and it was unveiled in 1963. A piece of work excellently performed, the monument consists mostly of a commemorative column and from a group of peasants caught in dramatic attitudes, intended to recall the tragic events of that year. It combines the varieties of relief from the high to the short verticals, which are interrupted by the diagonals of killed peasant’s body. The image passes from the killed peasant to those who through their verticality suggest the continuity of the fight.

Bibliopraphy:
Firan, Florea, Firescu, Alexandru. - Craiova.- Bucureşti: Sport Turism, [1982], p.82
Istoria Craiovei.- Craiova: Editura Scrisul Românesc, 1977, p.282
Petre Gigea-Gorun.- Din amintirile Craiovei. – Craiova:Fundaţia Scrisul Românesc, 2004, p.65
Schileru, Eugen. – Ion Irimescu, Editura Meridiane, 1969.


“Buzeşti Brothers” Monument

“Buzeşti Brothers” monument represents the sculptor Boris Caragea’s work and is located in the Rose Garden or Băniei Garden, near the Bănie House, facing “Buzeşti Brothers” National College.
The work of art is representing Preda, Radu and Stroe Buzescu. On the pedestal of the statue is written: "Preda, Radu and Stroe Buzescu, captains in the army of Michael the Brave (1593-1601). For the eternal honor and gratitude of our ancestors who fought with heroic fearlessness for freedom, unity and independence, helping to the raise of a socialist Romania.

Bibliopraphy:
Firan, Florea, Firescu, Alexandru. - Craiova.- Bucureşti: Sport Turism, [1982], p.82
Magda Buce Răduţ.- Trecutul în Craiova de astăzi. – Craiova: Sim Art, 2008, p.184



Project Manager: Vasilica Anghel; Colaborators: Lavinia Dumitrescu and Dana Popescu (History, Churches, Monuments, Romanescu Park), Flori Stolojan (E. Farago),
Madalina Bailesteanu - english translator, Constantin Patru (images of ancient Craiova).
© County Library "Alexandru & Aristia Aman", Craiova, 2010